This post is sponsored by Tia Lupita. All opinions are my own.
Ah Mexican food… One of my (many) weaknesses when it comes to food! Colton and I lust over queso, salsa, enchiladas, and quesadillas when we’re in the need for something a little fun and spicy. Now that we’re homeowners, we’re looking to cook as much as possible, and that means bringing our Mexican food obsession to our own kitchen! And we’re starting with tacos.
Not just any tacos, though. These tacos start with a unique base: cactus tortillas from Tia Lupita. Tia Lupita sent us their own special cactus tortillas, cactus And cassava totopos tortilla chips, and a bottle of their chipotle hot sauce to create a recipe of our own to enjoy. I have to admit that cactus tortillas gave me pause for a moment. I was so curious to see what they tasted like, so I took a leap of faith with my taste buds and we tried everything out.
The cactus tortillas are derived from organic nopal cacti found in the highlands of East Sierra Madre ridge in Mexico. They’re vegan, non-fat, gluten free, non-GMO, completely plant-based, and they’re actually delicious! I would liken the taste to a corn tortilla, but with a little more twang to it. Overall, a unique and healthy alternative to flour or corn tortillas. We couldn’t wait to put together a recipe (okay, okay, Colton put together the recipe) using the cactus tortillas and Tia Lupita’s famous hot sauce.
- Tia Lupita cactus tortillas
- 1/4 cup Tia Lupita chipotle sauce
- boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp yellow onion minced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 3 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tb lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Spreadable Butter
- Sauté diced chicken breast in a pan of olive oil.
- Drizzle chipotle sauce over chicken in pan.
- Season chicken by adding lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Add minced onion, diced tomatoes, and corn. Cook until chicken is brown.
- To brown tortillas: Spread thin layer of butter on both sides of tortilla. Let rest in a pan until brown. (approx. 30 seconds for each side).
- Add chicken and vegetable mixture to tortilla and top with cheese. (Leave out cheese for a fully vegan recipe!)
- Best served warm and will serve two.