It’s finally summer!!! For a lot of y’all, it means no school until August, vacations, and relaxing. For others, it means summer jobs. And for still others (like myself), summer means absolutely nothing but hot weather since we’re out of college and in the work force. No matter if you’re dealing with planning and executing the perfect vaca, spending time with relatives who keep pestering you about your boyfriend (or lack thereof), or working a demanding job, stress is almost always present. And even though summer is supposed to be a time of fun and exciting things, stress can get in the way of those happy summer vibes. That’s why I’ve compiled six ways you can amp up your happy in various aspects of your life. Trust me…this was more of a guiding reminder to myself than anything. What are some ways you make yourself happy? Tell me in the comments below!
- Get Off Social Media – One of the worst things you can do is put your whole life on social media. What’s that saying? “Get off Facebook and face your problems”? Yeah, do that. I can’t tell you how many times a week I roll my eyes at people who make the conscious decision to put all of their personal problems on the internet. Although it provides momentary entertainment, it’s a major turn off when it comes to both friends and guys. I’m so glad I’m not friends with some of the people I see on my news feeds and timelines who put down others (be it their relationship, their body, etc.) or constantly post about the guy who dumped them/won’t pay attention to them. Put down the phone and step away from the computer. Breathe. Eat a tub of ice cream, scream into your pillow, and get over it.
- Cut Out the Negativity – Want to know the quickest way to sink into a bad mood? The people you’re around. Want to know the quickest way to get in a better mood? Get rid of the negative people in your life. Now, I’m not talking about throwing them (literally) in the garbage. Seriously consider the people you spend your time with or talk to on a daily basis. If they complain, trash talk or gossip about others, or bring drama into almost every situation, it may be time to distance yourself from them. You don’t necessarily have to cut them off cold turkey, but putting some physical and mental distance from them is a sure-fire guarantee to make your days just a little bit brighter.
- Spoil Yourself & Others – The key to happiness is relying on no one else but yourself to make you happy. Sure your best friend can make you laugh with her jokes and your boyfriend can make your heart flutter, but you need to be sure you can make yourself smile when you look in the mirror each day. Give yourself a spa day (or even just a spa night if you don’t have the time). Take a bubble bath, paint your nails, give yourself a facial. Treat yourself to a venti instead of a tall. Buy yourself those shoes you’ve been eyeing. Make yourself feel good! Then, of course its wonderful to spoil yourself, but spoiling the people in your life will give you just as many good vibes. Cook your family dinner and do the laundry for your mom. Treat your boyfriend to a date. Surprise your bestie with cupcakes and coffee. The more love you spread, the happier you are!
- It’s What You Eat – Believe it or not, what you put into your body directly correlates to how you feel. I know when I eat a ton of junk food, I feel weighed down and my self-confidence sinks pretty low. Heck yes, it tasted amazing, but I definitely didn’t need to eat five whole slices of pizza plus three breadsticks and four cookies. I was hungry, ok? Instead of reaching for that bag of chips, opt for a healthier option. I’m definitely not saying “You MUST eat a salad EVERY NIGHT.” But trust me, portioning your meals and going for a meat with a side of veggies makes you feel much lighter and happier than weighing yourself down with pizza, donuts, and fried foods all the time. Healthier options=happier you!
- Clean & Organize – I simply cannot concentrate in a messy room. When I come home from a stressful day at work, the last thing I want to do is walk into my messy room or cluttered bathroom. Your room/apartment/house is where you go to escape. It’s your safe house, your paradise. So why treat it like anything less? Add making your bed and cleaning off your bathroom counter into your morning routine so you’ll always come home to clean surfaces. Designate just 20 minutes before bed to fold and put back the unworn clothes from that morning. Buy a laundry hamper…trust me. You need one. Invest in an agenda, as well. You don’t have to color code it, but just jot down all the events in your busy social calendar. It will definitely clean up all the sticky notes you have everywhere, and it will keep you up-to-date on what’s happening in your own life!
- Devotionals/Quiet Time/Meditation – A happy life begins in the mind. So take care of it! Choose a time in your day (it could be while you sip your coffee in the morning, during your lunch break, or right before you go to bed at night) and designate it as your “quiet time.” Read a devotional book, your Bible, or any other inspirational book, magazine or website that lifts you up. Keep a journal or poem book. Doodle or draw. Turn off your phone and meditate in peace. Do whatever fits your lifestyle and embrace the calm. Namaste.